Product Configurator Speeds Flow in Quote-to-Production Workflows
Georgia manufacturer of custom cable assemblies needed to increase the flow of work to meet demand of jobs with quick turnaround times.
- Existing Infor Visual ERP system’s configurator module did not fit with their business workflow. CableQuest faced heavy customizations to make it work for them.
- TwinEngines developed a Business-Critical SharePoint Solution to integrate their workflow with the ERP.
- Product Configurator application integrated with Infor Visual ERP system plus Company Intranet
- TwinEngines developed Build Validations, Pricing, Quote Management, Auto Import of build information into Visual ERP system, and Automated Workflows
CableQuest needed to meet the growing demand for their custom cable assemblies business with quick turn-around times. The manufacturing is high-mix, low volume with value added engineering services.
- Sales engineers were using a spreadsheet to build cable assemblies and generate quotes. They spent 60% of their time just managing the spreadsheets.
- For each job won, all the build information in the quote was re-entered in the Visual ERP system to create engineering masters, parts and work orders.
- Multiple versions of the spreadsheet were in use, each with their own configuration rules and calculations.
- Materials pricing built in older versions of spreadsheets still in use by customers caused issues.
Customers and sales engineers were very familiar with the spreadsheet configurator layout. The challenge was to leverage the user interface of the spreadsheet configurator, and reduce the amount of time to generate quotes and streamline quote-to-production workflows.
- A partner with services that aligns with and fits a small, but growing, manufacturer.
- Free up sales engineers to sell and proactively guide customers through the quoting process.
- Eliminate the delays and workarounds to meet the quick turn around business.
- Evaluation of the Infor Visual ERP configurator module and then understand options.
TwinEngines facilitaed an evaluation of the Visual ERP configurator module with Visual sales people. The demonstration was ideal for companies building tables with 4 legs, but not for quoting and manufacturing custom cable assemblies.
- TwinEngines implemented a company Intranet, CQNet, with Microsoft SharePoint Foundation & Active Directory on a Microsoft Small Business Server.
- The intranet portal surfaces information in the Viusal ERP system to management, sales and production employees.
- SharePoint is ideal for collaboration and a repository of company documents.
- TwinEngines built a product configurator application in SharePoint integrated to the Visual ERP system.
- The old spreadsheet configurator was converted into a data collection tool to keep the familiar interface. All configuration rules and pricing formulas are managed through the new configurator.
- When the job is awarded, the configurator transfers the build information to CableQuest’s Visual ERP system, automatically generating engineering masters, parts and work orders.
- Quote management and production integration features were introduced to streamline the flow of work to the shop floor.
- Non-technical users can maintain validation rules and pricing formulas without needing IT.
Since 2001 Cable Quest has manufactured custom cable assemblies and wire harnesses for OEM’s, contract manufactures, & engineering design companies.
Cable Quest serves a broad range of markets to include Data Centers, Telecom, Communication, Military, Transportation, Industrial Controls, HVAC, Video/Audio, Gaming, & Wireless.