Equipment Tracking, Scheduling, and Certification
for Diagnostic Technology Firm
Phoenix Technology certifies diagnostic imaging equipment for Atlanta-area hospitals, imaging centers and provider offices.
- Phoenix Technology’s database system could not keep up with a growing customer base.
- With thousands of imaging machines to certify regularly, a more robust platform and seamless workflow was needed.
- TwinEngines used its strategic modeling process plus proprietary workflow modules to create a solution that fit their business and could scale with their growth.
- When a doctor orders a CT, MRI, or X-ray test, you don’t question the safety or accuracy of the machine? But how do you know the technology is accurate? That’s the job of Phoenix Technology, an Atlanta area physics consulting company. Each year, hospitals, imaging centers, and doctor’s offices are required to certify their equipment for image quality and patient safety.
- Phoenix was using an in-house system to schedule equipment certification visits by their physicists. After the tests, Phoenix snail-mailed certificates to their customers indicating the results.
- With thousands of pieces of equipment on their roster, Phoenix Technology faced a management challenge. The company was growing, but their database and manual certificate system couldn’t keep up.
- “We ran the business on an old Microsoft Access database,” explained Rosa McTee, the company’s chief administrator. “We couldn’t make any changes or even perform searches. Even worse, we were manually typing emails to notify our clients of upcoming visits – sometimes 200 notifications in a month. We approached two different companies to develop a new database system, but they couldn’t capture the whole of our business. So we turned to TwinEngines.”
TwinEngines used its strategic modeling process to re-engineer the way information moved through the business. TwinEngines chose SharePoint as the solution platform and utilized TwinEngines’ proprietary modules to streamline development and reduce costs.
“We modeled the workflow to match the way they wanted to operate, and created a solution that fit their business with the ability to scale with growth,” explained Kevin Seefried, CEO of TwinEngines. We started by pulling all the information from the old database into a new one to come up with a basic model. From there, we began to expand the level of automation and transparency of information.”
“One of the key process improvements was to generate notifications by automated email and send the certifications directly to the client as pdfs,” Mike Losapio of TwinEngines explained. “Eliminating the printing and mailing greatly optimized their internal work flow.”
Continuous Improvement with Managed Services
“At first we thought we wanted the new system to be modeled the same way as the old, but it turned out we wanted more capabilities,” Rosa explained. “So, we started changing things. Once we realized what the new system could do, we got excited and created an ever-expanding wish list. To this day, we keep adding to it. In addition to managing clients, scheduling, and equipment, we’re using it for HR as well.”
Building a Competitive Advantage
“Our managed services model allowed Phoenix to achieve benefits similar to having an internal IT development team while avoiding a big capital outlay to build it all at once,” explained Kevin Seefried. “The idea of developing a fixed IT application no longer conforms to today’s ever-changing business landscape where clients seek increased Web integration, mobility, and transparency.”
“Before, everything was done manually, contacting clients, emailing them, and then entering data,” Rosa explained. “Now, I have everything in the database – notifications, emails, clients, staff, and equipment. I can better manage equipment and even notify the client if there is a recall. We now manage larger facilities which makes us a much better resource.
“We’ve doubled in revenue since we started with the TwinEngines system,” Rosa continued. “Best of all, we haven’t had to double the administrative personnel to manage it. That’s because we’ve been able to streamline our process in the office while doubling the physicists in the field.”
Phoenix Technology Corporation® supports medical facilities throughout the Southeast with Diagnostic Medical Physics services.
Phoenix Technology Corporation® has been the leader and innovator in radiation safety related solutions for imaging facilities servicing over 75% of the Hospitals and Medical Centers in the state of Georgia.
With the myriad of regulatory and accrediting bodies now burdening the typical healthcare facility, Phoenix certifies diagnostic imaging equipment for Atlanta-area hospitals, imaging centers and provider offices
“We’ve doubled in revenue since we started with the TwinEngines system. Best of all, we haven’t had to double the administrative personnel to manage it. That’s because we’ve been able to streamline our process in the office while doubling the physicists in the field.”