Manufacturing Operations Management with Estimating, Scheduling and Shop Floor Visibility
Promotional Screenprint and Digital, Inc.
- Georgia printer providing digital and screen printing and sheet-fed offset printing - making custom POP graphics, tear pads, brochures, and easels
- Inefficient operations and the non-value activities required to satisfy customer requests made it difficult to meet tight deadlines - in general, difficult for customers to do business with them.
- Strategic Technology Road Map
- Shop Floor Control System - .Net Windows Portal with integration to SharePoint and QuickBooks
- Workflow management and visibility for Estimating, Quotes, Purchase Orders, Receiving, Print Design, Production, Sh
PSP wanted to make it easier for customers to do business with them. But they needed to be a company that could easily run its business first. PSP had unsuccessfully tried two different industry-specific applications to run their financials and manage operations, but each time PSP found itself modifying its process to fit the applications.
TwinEngines created a strategic technology roadmap, and then implemented the first phase of the PSP’s Personal Service Portal, built on TwinEngines' Visibility Toolkit for Manufacturing Value Chains.
Understand the unique needs of a small company participating in the manufacturing value chain and provide advice and business systems that are the best fit and best value.
- Create a phased approach to implementing technology that addressed the internal operations needs followed by the interaction with customers.
- Implement a production scheduling solution that could manage a large number of highly specific jobs, each with uniquely configured graphics. Employees needed to be able to communicate with customers and track these communications within the system.
- Increase visibility of business information across all departments.
- Determine the right mix of legacy systems, off-the-shelf and custom software to synchronize information flow throughout the organization and reduces bottlenecks across departments.
TwinEngines created a strategic technology roadmap for PSP outlining a phased approach to:
Utilizing its Visibility Toolkit for Manufacturing Value Chains, TwinEngines:
- Streamline operations,
- Synchronize information flow throughout the organization,
- Make it easier for customers to do business with them.
- Deployed an information technology platform for the business.
- Created the internal applications needed to operate more efficiently.
- Integrated QuickBooks and Microsoft SharePoint increasing collaboration between departments.
Phase 1 Benefits
- Production scheduling is drastically reduced. Each step of the pre-production process is easily tracked with a color-coded job status system.
- More efficient pre-press process, including real-time tracking of customer communications regarding size, color and technique specifications.
- The use of the company’s existing software and legacy systems are extended, eliminating the need for costly upgrades.
- Increased visibility of information and sharing across the enterprise.
- Unlike canned software, the custom applications allow the company to keep unique bits of its culture. For example, the “DEFCON” levels PSP uses to set workload expectations are preserved.